Lords of Norton le Moors Manor
One of our oldest buildings is Norton Green Old Hall Farm. A listed Grade 11 Yeomans House, an historic monument and built in circa 1643* with a fascinating history all its own (* Source Nortonian Society). Original features of the 3 storey building are still present today.
Lords of Norton le Moors manor and landowners throughout the centuries had connections with with Norton Green Old Hall Farm, Endon Road.
The Lords of Norton were Knights, Barons and Dukes, all supporting their Kings, Queens and Governments of England, hence gaining land and favours to rule over their Demenses* (* Demenses = Domains)
Sir William de Mere, Robert de Stafford (Tosnei), Charles Bowyer Audley are named as being Lords of Norton le Moors manor.
Beginning with the de Mere family, who are ancient descendants and who have helped shaped England and our village from its earliest inhabitants to what it is today. Williams story can viewed here by following this link … William de Mere
Charles Alfred Hales and his family had resided at the Hall for many years where mention of suicide and a riot at the hall occured … Read more
Their stories are fascinating and ongoing research is a continuing work in progress, so please check back often!
The Hall Today
The old Hall today still retaining its charm & character has also kept the division of two dwellings, the larger portion continues to be a working farm.
The present occupants have resided here for many years and contribute much to the community by organising Horse & Carriage fund raising events for local charities, volunteering there services toward Norton Greens' Fun day preparations and the 'Lady' of the Hall is well known for her wonderful cooking skills!
The New Hall situated on the grounds is neighbour to the old hall and was built between 1920 - 1940.
If you have anything that you like to add here please contact … Site Editor
Living at Norton Green over 200 years ago and owning the Old Hall was the family of Hales, from all accounts a highly respected family.
The 'Staffordshire Advertiser' in November 1834 records the death of Mary Hales, widow of Charles Hales, and from the tributes paid in the press at the time of her death, she was a much loved lady and her passing was much lamented by the neighbours to whom she had shown many kindnesses. She was succeeded by her son Alfred who resided at the Hall and it was he who sank the Lime Kiln Pit (Lime Kiln Cottages), a venture which proved a failure and Alfred lost all his money. This preyed on his mind with the result that he committed suicide at the Old Hall.
Charles Hales then succeeded his father at the Hall and lived there for some time but the family was in considerable financial difficulty. Property which included the Old Hall, Brick Bank Farm, the Lime Kiln, Coal and Ironstone Mine and Canal Wharf were put up for sale.
A family of Oldacre then occupied the Hall; Mr Oldacre being a Solicitor in Burslem was thought to have arranged a mortgage. Charles Hales still claimed possession of the Hall, as he had not received any payment.’ The sequel to this confrontation led to what was known as the Norton Green Riots.
Hales still insisting that he should occupy the Hall took the law into his own hands. One day Hales accompanied by about 70 men from Mow cop arrived at the Old Brown Jug (Foaming Quart) at 9 a.m with the intention of taking the Hall by force. James Mayor was the licensee at the time and his sister Alice was the Housekeeper at the Hall. Mayor's wife hearing of their intentions sent word to the Oldacres to warn them of what might happen. She also sent her daughter Elizabeth to Mr Cope's Foundry for help. The foundry men were also joined by the farm labourers from Mr Dean's farm at Heakley Hall Farm to go the aid of Mr Oldacre.
Free fights ensued, and some of the rioters were thrown through the windows of the Old Hall. Eventually the Mow Cop men were driven off and chased by the foundry men up to Norton, still pelting them with stones. Several rioters were sent to trial at Stafford Assizes and sent to prison.
Some notable names were Eardley, Hancock, Simpson, Taylor, Sargeant, Unwin and Evans: The Old Hall at Norton Green (c. 1643) is one of our oldest properties bearing witness to the test of time!